If you are not a registered student or member of staff at the Universities at Medway, you may still be eligible to apply for reference access and/or borrowing privileges from the Drill Hall Library.
By applying for any of our membership schemes you are accepting that you will adhere to all our Library policies.
The information you provide on your registration will be held securely within the Drill Hall Library’s Membership database environment and, if you are a registered borrower, the library management system until your membership expires when it will be securely deleted. Your data will only be used for the following purposes only:
- To enable the library to create your membership access card.
- To enable the library to create your library account.
- To enable the library to monitor and compile statistics on stock circulation, charges, and borrower data.
Your personal data will never be shared with any external organisations.
You are only permitted to hold one membership at a time so please ensure you read the details of each schemes to decide which one is best suited to your needs before applying.
IT Support, printing and scanning services or use of bookable study spaces or rooms are not available for these memberships.
New applications are processed at our Library Reception Desk between 9.30am – 4.30pm only, excluding Bank Holidays.
Please note: During periods of high demand on library services and study spaces, we reserve the right to suspend all new Public Access applications.
Current membership schemes
- Clinical staff
- Higher Education (Sconul)
- Public access
Membership is available to alumni from the University of Greenwich, University of Kent and Canterbury Christ Church University.
To register for your Alumni membership with access to the Drill Hall you will first need to register with your home university. Please note, IT support, scanning and printing services are not available in the Drill Hall for Alumni membership holders.
Please click on one of the university links below for full details of how to apply and what is available at other sites:
Membership is available to staff at participating NHS Trusts listed below. This one year membership will give access to borrow five items (ordinary or 7-day loan) and use of our public access PCs. IT Support, printing and scanning services are not available for this membership.
To register for Clinical staff membership with the Drill Hall, you will need to bring all of the following to the Reception Desk:
- your NHS Trust staff identification card
- a letter from your employer on their headed notepaper confirming employment
- proof of your home address, eg driving license, utility bill
Eligible NHS Trusts are as follows:
- Bexley Care Trust
- Bromley Hospitals NHS Trust
- Bromley Primary Care Trust
- Greenwich Teaching Primary Care Trust
- Guys and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust
- Kings Healthcare Trust
- Lambeth PCT
- Lewisham Hospital NHS Trust
- Lewisham Primary Care Trust
- Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust
- Queen Elizabeth Hospital NHS Trust
- Queen Mary’s Sidcup NHS Trust
- South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust
- Southwark Primary Care Trust
NHS South East Coast
- Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust
- Eastern and Coastal Kent NHS Trust
- East Kent Hospitals University NHS Trust
- Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust
- Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
- Medway Community Healthcare
- Medway NHS Foundation Trust
- West Kent Primary Care Trust
The Universities at Medway partner institutions are members of the SCONUL Access reciprocal scheme. This scheme allows staff and students from other higher education institutions who are members of the SCONUL Access scheme access to the Drill Hall Library. IT Support, printing and scanning services are not available for this membership.
For further information please visit the SCONUL site.
To register your SCONUL membership with the Drill Hall, you will need to bring all of the following to the Reception Desk:
- a printed copy of your SCONUL Access membership confirmation email
- your home institution ID card
Members of the public can use some of the Drill Hall Library’s facilities as visitors providing, they are over 18 years of age, a member of a Medway public library and either living or working in the Medway Council postcode areas ME1 – ME5 and ME7 & ME8 only.
This three-year membership will give reference only access and use of our public access PCs for internet access. IT Support, printing and scanning services and use of bookable study spaces or rooms are not available for this membership.
To request public access membership, you will need to bring all of the following original documents to the Reception Desk:
- your Medway adult library services card (or show your account with a barcode on the Spydus app)
- if you live in the Medway Council postcode areas, a recent second form of identification – with your current address on it (e.g. driving licence, recent utility or council tax bill, or a bank statement)
- or, if you work in the Medway Council postcode area, a recent payslip or letter on your employer’s headed paper
- proof that you are over the age of 18 (passport or driving licence)
Electronic copies are not accepted, you must provide the original documents.
Any loss of Membership cards must be reported immediately. We will provide one free replacement card, if this card is then lost, you will need to reapply for membership by providing all the documentation needed.
During periods of high demand on library services and study spaces, we reserve the right to suspend all new Public Access applications.