Members of the public can use the Drill Hall Library's facilities as visitors providing they are over 18 years of age, a member of a Medway public library and either living or working in the Medway Council area.
You can choose between two levels of access.
- Reference access only — free of charge.
- PC access (once membership has been approved) — free of charge.
- Borrower status — £50 per annum.
How to join
On your first visit to the Drill Hall Library you will need to bring your Medway adult library services card with you to gain entry. You are welcome to look round to see what we have to offer, however if you decide that you would like to visit again you will need to register with us.
To register with us you will need to bring with you:
- your Medway adult library services card;
- a second form of identification with your current address on it; and
- proof that you are over the age of 18.
We will ask you to complete a registration form, to have your photo taken and sign to confirm your acceptance of the Drill Hall Library's rules. Your application will then be processed and you will receive a membership card in the post within five working days. Once you have your membership card you can then apply for an IT account, which will allow you to use our visitor PCs. You will need to bring your membership card with you on every visit and sign in and out at reception.
Please note that registration for new Public Access users is only available from 8.30am to 6.30pm Monday to Friday, and 11am to 5pm at the weekend. Please check our opening hours before you visit. During periods of extended opening Public Access users are required to leave the library by midnight.
What we can offer you
If you choose reference and PC access only we can offer you:
- reference access to over 130,000 academic texts and journals;
- use of photocopying facilities (chargeable);
- optional personal IT account; and
- use of a visitor access PCs with Microsoft Office and internet access.
If you choose borrower status we can offer you all of the above plus:
- a personal library account; and
- entitlement to borrow up to five ordinary or 7-day loan items from the Drill Hall's stock at any one time.
To avoid any misunderstanding please note that study loans, inter-site loans (items located at Avery Hill or Maritime Greenwich), inter-library loans, theses/dissertations, reservations and poster printing are excluded from the scheme.
Additionally, due to educational licence agreements, electronic databases, electronic books and journals and specialist software are not available to visitors or external users.