Welcome to all of our new students, and welcome back to all of those continuing your study at Medway! It's been a busy summer in the Drill Hall Library and we'd like to tell you about some of our news:
- There is a stunning new Art Commission in Archibald Hay Mess – this was installed over the summer by artist Silent Hobo. Do let us know what you think, as we're very proud of it!
- Our Opening Hours have been extended so that we're open until midnight every day from the 22nd September until 19th December. Our desks are also open until 9pm every week day. Later in the year we'll be open 24/7 to help during your exams
- We've made the Reservation Shelves bigger and more secure, making book reservations more reliable and more easy to find
- We've completely transformed the group practice rooms DA004 and DA005 – these now have two linked screens in each room (each has one screen that is 65 inches – great for group work and presentation practice). The furniture is all brand new, and with the combination of cutting edge technology such as the ability to present from wireless devices we can't wait to see people making the most of them. They will be open for bookings very shortly
- There are new chairs for the group rooms on the 1st floor above the Group Study Zone – these new chairs are very easy to move around and are great for groups. We'll also be getting new chairs for the PCs in the two training rooms soon
- All of the printers in the library have been upgraded, and we now have more colour printers for you
- We've added some sofas around the Group and Quiet zones. Very comfy!
- The computers in the library now all have Office 2013 and Google Chrome as well as IE11 on them
- As a present from us to you, we're giving away Drill Hall Library water bottles and book bags. These have primarily been given out at library tours so far and are proving very popular!
- We've replaced the water fountains with new ones that mean you can fill up water bottles more easily
- The CD and DVD collections have been smartened up so that they're easier for you to browse. You can borrow these by using the self-service machines
We'd love to hear your feedback about the Drill Hall, and you can always speak to any member of staff or click on the Feedback tab on our website. We also have a User Group every term where you can come and share your thoughts on the library. We'll advertise this later in the term. To keep up to date with what's happening in the library follow us on Twitter (@drillhalllib), find us on Facebook (Drill Hall Library).
Dave Puplett, Drill Hall Library Manager
Your library, your future