Telephone: 01634 883278
Drill Hall Library Your library, your future

Frequently asked questions

Show all


Hide all

What do I need to use the library?

You will need your university student ID card to gain admittance to the library. You will not be permitted access without it. Your student ID card is also your library card, which you will use to borrow items from the library. If you are not a student at the Universities at Medway campus you may still be able to use the Drill Hall Library. You can find out if you are eligible here.

Do I automatically get a library account?

Yes, all registered students automatically get a library account. See our borrowing page for information about the items in the library you can borrow. Your student ID card is also your library card and enables you to borrow items and take them out of the library. If you are a member of staff you need to apply for an account at the Welcome Desk.

Can I eat and drink in the library?

Yes, but only in the Archibald Hay Mess cafe area and not in the library itself. The cafe is located in the Group Zone of the library and serves a variety of hot and cold food and drinks. You may also bring your own food and eat in the cafe. Only drinks with screw top lids and Keep Cups are permitted within the library.

Can we work together as a group in the library?

We encourage group working in the Group Zone but ask that you show consideration to those studying nearby. There are also three practice presentation rooms (two of which have interactive touchscreens, wireless presentation facilities and a large 10-seat table) available to book at Reception and a further two open access rooms (DC105 and DC109), which have been designed for group work with furniture and seating arranged around large display screens. For more informal group work we also have four technobooths in the Archibald Hay Mess.

Where can I find a quiet place to work?

The Silent Zone, which is located at the far left-hand end of the Drill Hall Library, has a mixture of individual study carrels, study desks and PCs for individual silent study. Talking (including whispering) and the use of mobile phones are not permitted in his area.

Can I bind my work in the Drill Hall Library?

The Drill Hall Library no longer offers a binding service. If you have work that needs to be bound, GK Unions will be able to do this for you. They are based in the Pilkington building and can be contacted on 01634 888989..

Where can I get help?

There are various help points throughout the library. The Welcome Desk in the foyer area is a good starting point for general queries. Throughout the day members of staff will be roaming in the library and will be happy to help with any query.


Useful links
Recent Tweets

Our biggest fans this week: @saveEarlsCourt, @ccculibrary, @UKMstudent. Thank you! via

Posted about 13 hours ago

rating button